The New Year is filled with making resolutions and finding ways to improve our lives, including our careers. Whether you are content in your career or longing for something better, you can always make improvements. Here is some career advice to make 2018 a stellar year for you.
- You are the captain of the ship in your career. You ultimately have control over your career and where it goes and doesn’t go. This is important to remember so that you can make the right decisions for you. Ask for the things you think you have earned. If you are being paid below what you are worth, then ask for a raise and explain to your boss with specific examples of why you should get a raise.
- Remember your job may not fulfill all of your dreams; it can be a stepping stone to a better job where your passion is stronger. Some jobs serve as a learning experience for something bigger and better. It doesn’t mean that it is not a valuable position, it just is not your ultimate career position.
- There is enormous value in meeting new people and building a network. Each person can be invaluable to your career. They may be a source for a new job or they could be a source of knowledge you hadn’t learned up to this point.
- Always act professional! You may not be currently working in your dream job but it is important to stay professional. Always dress and act the part of where you envision yourself being. You never know where it might take you. You career does not define you, only you can define you.
- Always aspire for more. It is human nature to want more. In a professional career, you should be aiming for that next promotion. It is important to be focused on learning more in your job through educating yourself and learning new skills. We grow as human beings by constantly learning and expanding our knowledge.
- Be open to criticism. This is how we learn what we need to work on. We are not able to see all our flaws and we must rely on others to tell us how we can improve. There is no reason to be upset about it. We need to take the criticism in stride and see how we can grow from it.
- Last but not least, GROW! Be open to new opportunities. Many times we automatically say no to things without thinking about it. It is a gut instinct. But if we say yes to more things, we grow as people and in our career. You will learn new things and be recognized as the person that is open to anything. You will not only grow in your career, you will grow as a person.